Health Benefits Of Sesame For Children
HEALTH BENEFITS OF SESAME FOR CHILDREN
Sesame is one of the oldest oilseed known to man. It has been cultivated since 3000 years in the desert and tropic regions of Middle Eastern Asia and Europe. It has a rich, nutty flavor that makes is one of the commonly used ingredients in cuisines around the world. Sesame seeds have numerous health benefits and has been an important part of many cultures. Sesame seeds are rich in oil and are flavorful.
Here we will talk about the various health benefits of sesame for children. Some of the health benefits of sesame seeds are listed below-
- Rich in calcium – un-milled or un-husked sesame seeds are rich in calcium. 100 g of sesame seeds has 60 mg of calcium. Every mother wants her child to grow properly and be strong. Calcium is very important during the growth years of children. So when you introduce sesame seeds to your child’s daily diet, it will help your child’s bone development and overall bone health.
- High in Energy- Although sesame seeds are tiny, they are a powerhouse of energy. A mere 100 g of sesame seeds has 573 calories, which is substantially a very high amount. So when you pack a little snack with sesame seeds in the lunch box, you sure are giving your kid a good amount of energy for the day.
- Good source of unsaturated fats- Sesame seeds are a rich source of unsaturated fats. Around 61% of sesame seed is known to be composed of fats. This is not only good for your child, but it is good for all your adult family members as well which includes you. So, go on introduce sesame seeds in your family’s diet and not just your child. You sure will benefit a lot from sesame.
- Strong Immunity- Sesame seeds are also known for helping boost the immunity of children. If you add sesame seeds to your child’s diet, you will be able to make sure that your child has a strong immunity and he/she will be protected from common cough and cold.
- Antioxidants – Sesame is a good source of antioxidants. The free radicals produced during metabolism are known to damage the surrounding tissues and cells. Antioxidants are the only way to counter this damage. Antioxidants are found in many food sources (mostly vegetarian) including sesame seeds which helps in controlling the free radical damage to a great extent.
- Protects Liver- Sesame seeds take care of your liver. It helps the liver from damage caused by jaundice and hepatitis. It controls liver damage and keeps your liver healthy when included in your daily diet.
- Heals wounds faster- Children get hurt from play most often, to help those wounds heal faster you should include sesame in your child’s diet. Sesame has sesamol which is an antioxidative component present in it that helps in healing the wounds faster.
- Dental Caries – Since Sesame seeds are extremely rich in calcium, it helps in the treatment of dental caries as well. By giving sesame seeds to your child, you will also help with your child’s dental health.
Although sesame seeds are good for your child’s overall health, you should take measures to make sure that your child is not allergic to these seeds. Make sure you select the right seeds. You should opt for the un-milled or un-husked seeds from stores that supply organic food instead of opting for the milled or husked varieties that are easily available in the supermarkets. See to it that your child is not allergic to sesame seeds, some children and adults have an allergic reaction to seeds and nuts like, peanuts, almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, macadamia, pecans, pistachio, sesame seeds and more. If anybody in the family has a history of allergic reactions to certain food, then there are high chances of the child getting allergic reactions too.