SLEEPING WITH SESAME
SLEEP TIGHT WITH YOUR SESAME STREET FRIENDS
Sleepless Nights Getting You Down? Popping Sesame Seeds, Not Pills, May Be the Answer
Today, when most people are busy chasing their dreams of a life full of luxuries, sleep unfortunately eludes them, and thus most of their aspirations go unrealized. The lack of a restful slumber is not something that troubles only the aged and sick, a huge number of otherwise healthy young toss and turn throughout the night.
- Consequences of Disturbed Sleep:- If one night of restless sleep makes one irritable and exhausted the next morning, imagine the amount of damage it can cause in the long term. Decades of research have confirmed that sleep deprivation can wreak havoc on a person’s physical as well as emotional well-being. Obesity, hypertension, diabetes, and even strokes and heart attacks can be traced back to disrupted sleep. On the other hand, lack of focus, fatigue, crankiness becomes evident in people having poor sleeping patterns.
- In Search of a Remedy:- Unfortunately, modern medicines do not prove to be very effective in the treatment of this malaise that has victimized a huge chunk of humanity. Besides, most of the sleeps inducing pills come with their own set of side-effects, ranging from drowsiness throughout the day, headaches and dizziness to addiction, none of which are desirable.
- How it Works:- In most cases the lack of a good night’s sleep is a result of worrying about unforeseen eventualities that build up stress in the body. Sesame seeds have been endowed with loads of compounds that calm the mind and relax the body. For instance, one of these ingredients, tryptophan, induces the production of serotonin and melatonin that soothes the body, enhancing sleep quality. In addition, plenty of anxiety-relieving minerals like magnesium and calcium are also found in these seeds. The combined effect is improved sleep performance, making you feel like a newly minted coin every time you wake up.
- How Much and When? Chewing a small amount of these crunchy seeds at any time can reap huge benefits. However, the best course of action would be to start the day with a teaspoonful of sesame on an empty stomach. It can be taken in any form, though the results can be more evident when the seeds are soaked in water overnight. Soaking the seeds makes it easier for the body to absorb certain components. Thankfully, there is no harm if you toss in some roasted sesame to add a crunchy, nutty taste you’ll savor.
- Black or White? Is that the potent question? Well, the difference is that the white ones lack the goodness-filled outer coating and that makes them rank slightly lower in terms of nutritional value. However, they do have a milder taste than their darker counterparts, which may make them palatable to those who don’t enjoy the unique flavour of sesame.
Making It a Part Of Your Daily Diet:- The best thing about sesame is that it can be eaten with a variety of foodstuffs, both sweet or salty. Here’s how you can incorporate this wonder-seed into your meals:
- blending it into fruit-packed smoothies
- tossing it into both vegetarian and non-vegetarian salads
- adding it to a homemade healthy snack bar
- stir-frying it with veggies or chicken
- tossing it into noodles