For the crust:
- Ground flax seeds mixed with water.
- 1 cup almond flour.
- buckwheat groats flour or gluten-free oats
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley and parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp Virgin Sesame oil
For the quiche:
- 1 block firm tofu
- Virgin Sesame oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chives
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 tbsp yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4-1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Black and Red pepper for seasoning
In order to make the perfect quiche, you need to work on the crust and the filling separately.
To make the crust:
- Whisk together flax and water mixture in a small bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together the almond and oatmeal flour with parsley, oregano, and salt.
- Add the flax paste with oil to our mixture. Stir until mostly combined, adding the remaining water making a sticky dough. To check the consistency of the dough, press it between fingers, it is perfect if it sticks between your fingers.
- Crumble the dough evenly over the base of the dish. Starting from the center, press the mixture evenly into the pan, spreading it outwards and upwards on the edges of the pan.
- Poke a few holes in the dough for the air to escape.
- Bake the crust for 13-16 minutes, or until lightly golden and firm to touch. Set aside to cool while you finish preparing the filling.
To make the filling:
- Process the block of tofu until smooth and creamy. If it doesn't get creamy, add a tiny splash of almond milk to help it along.
- In a bowl, add Virgin Sesame oil and stir onion and garlic over medium heat for a few minutes. Add mushrooms, and season with salt. Continue cooking on medium-high heat until most of the water cooks off the mushrooms. Stir in the herbs, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, nutritional yeast, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes until combined. Stir until spinach is cooked.
- Add the processed tofu and spoon the mixture into baked crust and smooth out with a spoon until even. Bake quiche at 375F for 40 minutes, until the quiche is firm to the touch.