1 Cup Chopped Capsicum
4 tsp Sesame ( Til) Oil
1 tsp Urad dal (Split Black Lentils)
1 tsp Chana Dal (Split Bengal gram)
1/2 tsp Sesame Seeds (Til)
2 whole dry Kashmiri red chillies, broken into pieces
10 curry leaves (Kadi patta)
Pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
Salt to taste
1/4 cup grated fresh coconut
1/2 tsp tamarind (Imli)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (Rai / Sarson)
1. Heat 2 tsp of Sesame Oil in a broad non-stick pan add urad dal and chana dal and saute on a medium flame for 1 minute.
2. Add the sesame seeds, dry red chillies, 5 curry leaves, asafoetida and saute on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the Capsicum and salt and saute on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add the coconut and tamarind and saute on a medium flame for 1 minute.
5. Cool the mixture and blend it into smooth paste using 2 tsp water. Keep aside.
6. Heat the remaining 2 tsp of sesame oil in a small non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and remaining 5 curry leaves and saute on a medium flame for few seconds.
7. Pour the tempering evenly over it and mix well.
8. Serve with idlis, dosas or steamed rice.